Yes it’s time to now erect my tower, what did you think the tittle was about ?
Having waited the mandatory 28 days for the concrete to cure we could finally set about assembling the lower sections of the tower.
I didn’t like the way in which the original NBS mast upper pulley system worked, it projects out at a weird angle and sits uncovered. With the new shed behind I had space and a few friends to help me weld up a new one.
The winch that came with the kit was OK but I’m paranoid about what brands of gear I use for lifting. The entire weight of the antenna, trolley and feed lines sits on the wire. So I purchased my own braked winch, new cable and rated lifting gear. I’m not sure what I was supplied was rated or not,there were no marks to be found. I’ve spec’d everything at 400kg WLL which is overkill, but at least I know it will not come down due to failure.
Basically if you’re not happy to personally ride the hook in a harness to the top of your tower with the lifting gear supplied then perhaps you shouldn’t use it, think about that a little.
Now that the base was in place I could load the RHS section and stand the tower up. The RHS section is not light, so I’m glad I had a few friends over to help. I was nearly out done by my own cleverness with where I’d placed the tower. At the end of the shed there is a 600mm drop off, which meant getting the pipe into the base section above was tricky since you were nearly 2.5m off the ground on a ladder wrestling with a pole.
However once the pole is in the lower section it’s a simple case of lifting it into place using the hydraulic ram. This is where the beauty of this tower system lies. Once the tower is vertical the trolley is lowered down and the ram removed and stored in doors.
Here you can see the Rotator and thrust bearing being installed. I think I’ve got the height of the shed just right being able to sit on the roof and working on the pole, couldn’t have been any easier.
Now it’s time to finally get that Hexbeam back in the air.