With the lights upgraded it was about time I found a decent switch to sit on the dash board and activate the spotties.
I’d noticed recently that Narva offered a series of “Carling” styled switches that came with blue indicators that looked about the right size. I hate blue lights in cars, it hurts the eyes and causes fatigue.
There are three switch positions in the car that measured up close to a standard 32mm x 26mm DIN cutout.
A bit of google foo and I find online suppliers that can offer the same switch with various printing with a range of indicator colours. I ordered Green to match the rest of the console.
They fit perfectly.
There was only just a tiny amount of filing required to squeeze the switch into the cutout, perhaps a millimetre or two. Anyway the effect is great.
The switch has two indicators, the lower that comes on when the lights are activated and a second under the symbol when you activate the switch. This required a bit of thinking as to how to wire it properly and an additional diode to get it to work with the relay kit. I should at some stage draw up the circuit diagram.
My only complaint is the LED’s are far brighter than the equivalent incandescent bulb which means even when dimmed by the rheostat they are still too bright. I’ll be pulling the switch out and wiring a separate resistor in series to lower the brightness further. Hmm… that might require a transistor and zener, time to get that piece of paper out.
Oh and while I was ordering one “spot lights” switch I grabbed a few others that I thought I might want so there is now a small collection ready and waiting for further improvements.